We are seeking a person to become our VDC Technology Manager in our VDC Department.
This department creates building models (BIMs) to be used in preconstruction and construction, as well as supports the use of those models. Although we’re receiving Revit models from design team members on most projects, model clean-up is usually required to actually use models for construction. Most model clean-ups or 2D conversions are done in a team, comprised of internal team members or design team members. Models are created with actual construction use in mind: quantity extraction, coordination, additional documentation and direct-from-model execution.
The VDC Technical Manager is a key position in Tocci’s VDC Department, responsible for the management of Tocci’s VDC software and technical standards.
The department current uses Revit Architecture/MEP, Bentley Navigator, Bentley Projectwise, Solibri, Navisworks, Manage, AutoCAD MEP, and other VDC software programs. The VDC Technical Manager is a user of all of these software programs, so that each can be supported and optimized. Because new VDC software comes out every day, a key part of the VDC Technical Manager position is testing new software programs and functionality to make sure we are using the best out there.
The VDC Technical Manager’s time is split approximately 50/50, spending half-time on standards, software testing and management and the other half-time on project work.
You need to be self motivated, detail-oriented, open-minded and a dedicated individual that has an intuitive sense of the constraints and opportunities relating to VDC. Successful candidates will be prepared to emotionally engage with Tocci and its projects. The position is based in Woburn, MA, but travel to job sites and partner offices for co-location throughout the country (mostly in the Northeast) is required as needed. You will report to the VDC Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain Revit templates, standards and libraries
- Develop and maintain Bentley workspaces and DGN libraries
- Maintain graphic standards manual and perform QAQC on department/project deliverables
- Create training materials and conduct training sessions
- Test and implement new software tools and technologies
- Develop internal capabilities for 3D printing, CNC equipment, RFID tracking and tagging holographic printing and other emerging technologies
- Stay up to date on software features; train team on new features and how to appropriately use them
- Work on projects, performing tasks including:
- Work on teams developing and Coordinating BIMs
- Collaborate with design professionals to co-create models and perform quality assurance/quality control checks on BIMs
- Work with cost engineering staff to develop accurate and easy-to-use quantity takeoffs
- Work with project managers to optimize schedules through visual scheduling
- Develop supplemental field documents for superintendents
- Develop photorealistic renderings and walk-throughs directly from building models
- Work with project managers and superintendents to update models to reflect as-built conditions
- Understand and promote Tocci’s VDC process through internal and external training and presentations
- Perform other tasks related to Virtual Construction implementation
- Participate in general office “chores” including:
- emptying the dishwasher
- moving boxes
- decorating the Christmas tree
- re-stocking soda in the fridge.
- Minimum Bachelors degree in architecture or construction related field or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years in building or design industry required; work experience with VDC or BIM using Revit desirable
- Preference will be given to candidates who are Registered Architects or Registered Engineers.
- Exposure to and experience with Building Information Model (BIM) systems (i.e. Autodesk Revit , Bentley BIM, ArchiCAD) required
- Individuals with experience using non-Revit software programs will be prepared to transition to Revit
- Must be organized and slightly OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Excellent technical skills, including using computers, the internet and file sharing required
- Strong personal management skills, dedication, organization and open-minded required
- Creative thinker with ability to work in a close knit environment with like minded personalities
- LEED AP preferred, but not required
Laura Handler, Director of Virtual Design and Construction
A bit more about Tocci
Tocci Building Companies is a progressive construction services firm providing construction management, design/build, real estate development and preconstruction services. Tocci is housed in a restored 19th century mill building that blends old-world charm and contemporary design. Tocci staff members are dedicated professionals who work hard but relax together at weekly breakfasts, monthly lunches and occasional cocktail parties. Tocci provides a supportive business environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer