At Atkins Global
, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Orlando, FL staff as a Senior Electrical Engineer. The major function for this position will be to provide design, production and coordination of construction plans and drawings in support of engineering or architectural project(s). The successful candidate will select and recommend design procedures and also check and review the design work of less experienced junior professionals and designers.
Typical duties and responsibilities
The following project experience would be a plus for this position
- Under direction, provides the expertise of a seasoned Electrical Engineer to all conventional aspects of Architectural Engineering for facilities ranging from simple/small to large/complex while applying advanced concepts and techniques to unconventional engineering problems.
- Will function as a lead engineer on small projects or part of a larger design team for complex renovations or new building design projects.
- Duties are in relation to electrical engineering for building systems including primary/secondary power distribution, lighting, and low voltage systems design.
- Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Responsibilities include performing Electrical load calculations, sizing and specifying equipment, power distribution architecture, lighting design and low-voltage systems engineering for buildings.
- Designs and develops plans and drawings, which may include the development of preliminary layout and/or final drawings.
- Organizes and conducts engineering investigations and planning work which have a well-defined scope.
- Outlines and prepares relatively straightforward reports of sections of more complex reports, working under the periodic review of a more experienced professional.
- Provides engineering services during construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with specifications; prepares records and progress reports defining construction progress; observes construction procedures, and evaluates the results from quality control testing.
- Researches feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and regulatory agency specifications.
- Contributes to the development of specifications and permit applications, and writes miscellaneous reports.
- Prepares preliminary man-hour, cost and material quantity estimates.
- Participates in quality control checks, maintaining quality standards in all work produced, checking computations, and/or reviewing designs and drawings performed by others.
- Coordinates with other disciplines as required.
- Performs field observations of construction where appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering plus 10 years' experience, or Associate's degree plus a minimum of 15 years' progressive drafting and design experience, including at least twelve as a Designer, or HS diploma (or equivalent) plus a minimum of twenty five years progressive drafting and design experience, including at least fifteen as a Designer.
- Excellent verbal/writing skills and interpersonal skills to interface with owners, architects, other technical professionals and builders are required.
- Specific electrical engineering design experience for large commercial facilities such as federal and local Government facilities, aviation, leisure/hospitality and higher education is preferred.
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills are required.
- Proficient in Revit, AutoCad and electrical load software (EasyPower, etap, SKM, AGI-32, etc) strongly desired; good technical writing and communication skills.
- Electrical Design for Water, Waste/Water Treatment Plants. Experience in Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) and SCADA systems, a major plus.
- Solar Photovoltaic Cell Arrays. DC systems design experience, a major plus.
- Electrical Power Studies: Short Circuit, Coordination and Arc-Flash
- Power Quality Studies – Harmonic mitigation
- Emergency/Standby Generators
- Uninterruptable Power Systems (UPS)
P.E. and RCDD certification is preferred but not required. LEED Accredited also preferred.
More about Atkins Global
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Please express your interest and APPLY ONLINE via EMAIL
to Steve Condratovich.