Position Type: Full Time
Reports To: Partners
Directed By: Partners/Project Managers
An integral member of the model-based design process, the BIM Manager collaborates with architects, structural engineers, landscape architects, production specialists, professional staff, partners, and the I.T. Department to promote and facilitate a firm-wide workflow transition from a document-driven to building information modeling practice.
Education/Experience:Professional degree related to Architecture and/or Engineering or commensurate experience within the AEC industry.
Salary:Salary level is commensurate with experience. EEO Employer.
Contact:Email resume, e-portfolio, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5+ years production experience in design, drafting, or engineering.
- Experience in manipulating point clouds/laser scans.
- Must have an in-depth working knowledge of current BIM versions with emphasis on project sheet setup.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have a professional appearance, conduct and work ethic.
- Ability to use time productively, maximize efficiency, and meet challenging work goals.
- Ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
- Must have basic PC experience in Windows environments, working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, email, Web-enabled applications, and database software.
- Must be a self-starter and possess the drive to pursue continued education on BIM.
- Possess the ability to work well as part of a team and independently.
- Experience in 3D printing desirable but not mandatory.
Primary design tools used by staff:
- Revit (Arch/Struct)
- Autocad (2D)
- Civil 3D
- BIM 360
- Structural Analysis tools
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Manage software customization of new version releases.
- Manage the implementation of design software. Coordinate with IT staff.
- Evaluate new design software and technologies.
- Stay informed on best practices for use of Revit Architecture, Revit Structure, AutoCAD, Civil3D and BIM.
- Installation and support of related BIM software.
- Responsible for BIM standards development, implementation, and enforcement.
- Creation and maintenance of all design software project template files to assure standards.
- Separate templates for: Government and Private clients.
- Provide support for plotting and electronic file submissions.
- Automate routines in BIM to support standards and productivity.
- Provide quality control for completeness and adherence to company standards of all drawings produced.
- Train and oversee the day-to-day activities of users to ensure BIM standards are maintained in building the
- Creating BIM families and management/manipulation of 3rd party BIM families for staff use.
- Create written technology evaluations and budgets for future technology adoption that aligns with the
- company’s goals.
- Report on the company’s current and projected state regarding design technology utilization.
- Create upgrade and deployment strategies for design technology software.
- Coordinate with project teams in scheduling 3D prints to meet deadlines.
- Provide hardware and network support as it relates to design technology.
- Troubleshoot problems.
- Internal training to staff forspecified design software.
- Conduct annual training for updates in new releases of design software.
- Conduct new employee onboarding training sessions.
- Test new employee software skills.
- Maintain high level of competency of software through continued use and self-training.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and workshops. Bringing back learning and disseminating the information to
- appropriate teams.
- Support project standards coordination with clients (i.e. USACE, OGS, etc.).
- Assist on project work: complex modeling, renderings, generative design, energy and lighting analysis.
- Assist project teams in setting up the model.
- Create custom BIM content for project needs.
- Help resolve BIM design issues.
- Manage and distribute coordinated digital documents to the project team.
- Quality control BIM deliverables to meet contract and client requirements.
- Perform clash detection and create clash detection reports.
- Coordinate with project team and external consultants to resolve clashes in the clash detection report.
- Write and manage the BIM Project Execution Plan, if required, for the project.
- Manage project team permissions on BIM 360 for cloud hosted projects.
- Coordinate with the Marketing department in keeping BIM relevant material up to date in promotional
- Strategize future design technology initiatives.
- Identify trends and business opportunities relating to design technology and make software recommendations.
Liaison Design Technology workflows with:
- Sustainable design
- Visualization (Enscape, V-Ray, SketchUp)
- Facilities Management
- Specification writing
- Integrated Project Delivery
- Point clouds/laser scans
- Cloud hosted design (BIM 360)
- 3D Printing (MakerBot) - desirable but not mandatory.